OLS 2002

To: lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: OLS 2002
From: "mack@xxxxxxxxxxxx" <mack@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 26 Jun 2002 14:41:13 -0400 (EDT)
Lars, Ratz and I are here.

Ratz and I are staying in the well built jail, while Lars is staying in a
flimsy modern hotel, which I can't imagine will still be standing in its
current condition in 150 yrs. For the first time in 3 conferences Ratz got
to sleep before midnight lastnight. He'd just arrived from 4 days of
visiting his girlfriend.

Ottawa is nice as ever. However the usually tranquil Canada is getting
itself into a tiz about he G8 meeting. Police and the populace preparing
itself for what appear to be non-violent protests.

Lars gave his talk this morning on the Open Clustering Framework and was
relieved to have his responsibilities discharged so early in the
conference.

One talk this morning was by Wayne Meretsky of AMD, who promises 64 bit
computing in a year, with the AMD hammer CPUs, at the same price as 32 bit
compuing today.

David Jones talked about the problems of moving patches accepted into 2.4
into 2.5.

Various Linux luminaries are present, and it still amazes me that many of
these people, whose names are known world wide, are in their early 20's.

A major deficiency in the Linux world showed up this afternoon, trying to
find a talk. The first one I tried, was introductory material that no-one
needed to hear about. The next alternative I tried had a speaker who
confused a room full of people who had come to listen to information, for
a room full of people who were there to listen to his in-jokes and
in-references. This unfortunately is the style for our local LUG, which I
don't go to anymore. People should give professional grade talks,
remembering that the audience has devoted some time and money to be there.
It's the speaker's job to deliver the maximum amount of data the audience
can absorb not to entertain. It wasn't till I tried a 3rd talk that I
found a speaker who was saying something.

The conference center has the usual problem of indoor USA in the summer.
The place is air conditioned down to temperatures no-one would put up with
in winter. This is Canada for heaven's sake. It's not hot outside and I'm
having to wear a sweater inside.

Joseph Mack, mack@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Linux Virtual Server project
http://www.linuxvirtualserver.org