RE: Yet another persistence question...

Subject: RE: Yet another persistence question...
From: Peter Mueller <pmueller@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 7 Mar 2003 13:17:22 -0800
Hi Malcolm,

http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=linux-virtual-server&m=103407779310426&w=2

> What is the formula for working out the maximum number of concurrent
> sessions for :
>
> 256 MB RAM and persistence = 20 mins ?

http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=linux-virtual-server&m=103236403425545&w=2

So 128 bytes/connection.  How big is your connection/second?  Do you have
spikey traffic?  Just put a gig or two of RAM in the director(s) and you
probably won't have to worry :)

> Also should I be worried about AOL mega proxy ?

Are you going to have a lot of AOL users?

> Should I set the granularity to 255.255.255.0 ?

Read those two threads and the HOWTO, for example
http://www.linuxvirtualserver.org/docs/persistence.html and
http://www.linuxvirtualserver.org/Joseph.Mack/HOWTO/LVS-HOWTO.persistent_con
nection.html.

> Or is the trade off not worth it ?

If you are worried about mega-proxies I would be vewy vewy cautios with that
granularity setting.

> Oh and while I'm here I noticed in the change log something about
> "Server Slow Start" how does this work ?

I'm sure that I don't know.  I'd say ask Ratz but he is probably busy with
girls ;-).  Julian or Joseph, what the heck is this?

I'm going to take a stupid guess <TM> and think that maybe in a weighted
connection scheduler we slowly add weight to the real server until it is
up-to-par with the rest of them?

> Thanks for any help.

Hope it's useful.

Peter