Server Load Balancing Registration Protocol and LVS

To: lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Server Load Balancing Registration Protocol and LVS
From: "William V. Wollman" <wwollman@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 10 Oct 2003 12:08:15 -0400
All,

  We have worked with LVS to implement something we call the Server Load
Balancing Registration Protocol.  It allows a server to plug into a
network with the LVS and register it services with the LVS.  The LVS is
then automatically configured to balance the services registered.  We
did not modify LVS directly but created a Java program that processes
the real server registration messages and then automatically configures
the LVS.  The real server requires the installation of a Java program to
build the registration messages and register its services.   One benefit
is plug and play SLB with minimal administration.  Another benefit is
controlled configuration management.

A paper is available for download that describes the work we completed
in a bit more detail.  If interested please download and read the
article.

http://www.mitre.org/work/tech_papers/tech_papers_03/wollman_balancing/index.html

In an effort to measure interest, if anyone is interested in this
capability please let me know.

Thanks,
  Bill Wollman