Re: hidding loopback interface does not work properly

Subject: Re: hidding loopback interface does not work properly
From: "John Barrett" <jbarrett@xxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 29 Oct 2003 04:20:46 -0500
I'm a relative LVS newbie -- so feel free to shoot me down if I missed
something :)

Having the VIP on the lo interface is failing because lo doesnt have a mac
address, and direct routing works by rewriting mac addresses.

If you are using heartbeat+ldirector with HB launching LD, ldirector isnt
running on any machine that is not currently handling the VIP. So asking if
"ldirector is available" doesnt make a lot of sense -- if the machine is up
at all (easily determined by opening any known active port on the DIP, such
as ssh, or even just ping the DIP), then technically "ldirector is
available", but may not be active at the moment if another machine is
currently handling the VIP

What might be more useful is to have each HB+LD system run a local server
that identifies the system, perhaps by setting up a private address on lo
(192.168.1.1 will do, and you can use the same IP on all the hb+ld
machines), then binding the server to that address -- configure LD to route
a port to that ip using NAT. Since the NAT address is handled locally, each
HB+LD system will use its local server to answer requests. Return the
hostname as part of the response and you can identify which HB+LD is
currently active.

To answer your question about hiding: the typical realserver (without hb+ld)
has the VIP hidden on lo so that the realserver will not answer VIP arp
requests from any eth* interfaces -- the hb+ld machine currently handling
the VIP should be the only machine answering VIP arp requests. When traffic
for the VIP arrives, the director rewrites the mac address, forwarding the
traffic to the mac address associated with one of the RIPs, kernel routing
code at the realserver then routes the traffic internally by IP, which
passes the traffic off to the VIP on lo.