RE: hidding loopback interface does not work properly

Subject: RE: hidding loopback interface does not work properly
From: "Francois JEANMOUGIN" <Francois.JEANMOUGIN@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 29 Oct 2003 09:43:59 +0100

> eth0 = 192.168.121.240
> eth0:1 = 192.168.121.242
> lo:0 = 192.168.121.242
>
> If the interface eth0:1 is not mounted I would expected that a ping on
> 192.168.121.242 do not reply.
> But it does.

Yes it does, or the address would be unreachable for anyone.

> Perhaps I do not have understood exactly the purpose of "hidding", but
> thought this architecture coud work.

The hidden patch (or the noarp module that I use) is hiding a MAC address. It
means that an arp request on the IP wil be hidden by ANOTHER MAC address (the
one of the VIP of the director).

I did not really understand what you tried to do, but you can't bind the same
IP on two different interfaces on the same machine. In fact, I don't know if
you can or not, but I can't figure out how the packets would be routed. I don't
think that the kernel would duplicate the packets to the two interfaces. It
will probably forward the packet to one interface, regarding routing priority,
or something.

If I had to do what you try, I would just bind the service your pollux
application use to a specific port.

Hope this helps,

François.