Re: Again: LVS/Apache cluster freezes from time to time

Subject: Re: Again: LVS/Apache cluster freezes from time to time
From: Joseph Mack <mack.joseph@xxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 11 Nov 2003 16:04:50 -0500
Jan Abraham wrote:

> > this is one of the longest running unbsolved problems we've ever had :-(
>
> Not anymore. I've solved the issue this morning. Combination of two
> independent problems:

that'll add to the confusion

> Problem A:
> - Poorly written PHP application (lucky me, not my fault...) -> tons of
> PHP includes on every request

lots of disk accesses?

> - Lack of noatime,nodiratime in /etc/fstab

more disk accesses?

> - Use of ext3 with the default data mode (ordered)

what's this about?

> I should be beaten for this. Still, it's a unknown issue why it worked
> well without LVS.

I assume since it's dynamically generated data that you had persistence on,
in which case all requests from a client would arrive on the one machine
just as for a non LVS setup. I don't know either.

> Problem B:
> A switch that mysteriously sends packets to the wrong servers.

:-(

glad you figured it out. I'll put it in the HOWTO sometime as a
gruesome story that turned out not to be LVS, but for which there
was no explanation for quite a while.

SAIC, Supporting the EPA Research Triangle Park, NC 919-541-0007
Federal Contact - John B. Smith 919-541-1087 - smith.johnb@xxxxxxx