Re: Again: LVS/Apache cluster freezes from time to time

Subject: Re: Again: LVS/Apache cluster freezes from time to time
From: "Jacob Coby" <jcoby@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 12 Nov 2003 14:07:58 -0500
> > > Problem A:
> > > - Poorly written PHP application (lucky me, not my fault...) -> tons
of
> > > PHP includes on every request
> >
> > lots of disk accesses?
>
> Yesss...

If you aren't using it already, take a look at the PHP Accelerator
(http://www.php-accelerator.co.uk/).  It made a HUGE difference in our
ability to serve dynamic content quickly.  Our site is made up of about 75k
loc of PHP (plus an additonal 20kloc of support code in php), of which about
~35k is used per page, including at least 8 includes per page.  We serve up
some 7 million pages/month (~110gb).  We aren't a huge site, but we're able
to support this with a dual PIII 733 running at max at 60%.

Using PHPA reduced the server load by about 50%, improved latency and page
rendering times by anywhere from 50 - 300%, and allowed us to continue using
our single web server for at least another 2 years without moving to
multiple, load balanced servers.  Load balancing is still in the future, but
more or less for reduncancy than anything else.

-Jacob