RE: Again: LVS/Apache cluster freezes from time to time

Subject: RE: Again: LVS/Apache cluster freezes from time to time
From: Jan Abraham <jan_abraham@xxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 12 Nov 2003 19:33:19 +0100
> Sheesh, that _really_ sucks!!  How did you diagnose that the switch was the
> issue?  What switch were/are you using?

I did a tcpdump on the servers and analyzed the IPs and the MAC
addresses. From time to time the dump at host A showed incoming packages
with the destination MAC address of host B, although ARP worked
properly. I asked our hosting facility to reset the switch. A couple of
resets later, the switch decided to drop ARP replies from host B
completely (but the requests were sended).

After the facility guys changed the switch from a Cisco to a 3com
(sorry, don't know exact model identifiers) the weird packets were gone.

I can't estimate the impact of this issue to our general problem, but it
explained some special complaints from our users.

Jan