linux kernel exploit on real-servers

Subject: linux kernel exploit on real-servers
From: Shivaji Navale <shivaji@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 6 Dec 2003 16:20:44 +0530 (IST)

I was surprised to see the do_brk vulnerabilty wasnt exploitable on the
kernel source from ultramonkey (2.4.20-18.8.um.1custom).

I tried it on all real servers. Although i tried after reinstalling the
kernels on real-servers, but before rebooting them.
The output of the /proc/pidof executable/maps was also as mentioned.
Yet to try it on director.

I would also like to add that the ptrace vulnerability present for the
kernel version installed on real servers, was also not exploitable in that
the suid shell to be givento user programs just died out.
Although the kernel version then was not the ultramonkey one. and the
vulnerability got exploited on director by doing su - username (as logins
were not allowed on director)

How is it so.

-shivaji

-- EVERYONE should contribute to THE BEST of their capacity
for THE DEVELOPMENT of THE NATION