Re: Is servers problem ???

Subject: Re: Is servers problem ???
From: Sébastien Bonnet <Sebastien.Bonnet@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 09 Dec 2003 14:20:30 +0100
> > echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/conf/all/hidden
>                                    ***
> > echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/conf/lo/hidden
>
> If you hidden the RIPs, you probably won't be able to connect to
> the servers from nowhere...

No no no. /proc/sys/net/ipv4/conf/all/hidden does not hide anything, it
just tells the kernel to hide interfaces flegged as hidden using
/proc/sys/net/ipv4/conf/*if*/hidden (here lo).

You can thus setup several hidden interfaces (using the interface
specific proc entry) and actually hide (or show) them all at one using
/proc/sys/net/ipv4/conf/all/hidden.

> That's a reason why I prefer the noarp module :).

I'm also using noarp which is, IMHO, way easier to install and use and a
lot more precise than the hidden patch (can hide IP1 on lo and still
show IP2 on lo for example).

Regards,

--
Sébastien Bonnet