Re: Virtual Interfaces?

Subject: Re: Virtual Interfaces?
From: Roberto Nibali <ratz@xxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 17 Dec 2003 19:34:03 +0100
Hello,

I appreciate the quick response.  However, I'm not sure if this answers my
original question.

I am, regarding your original question :).

Can we exceed 255 "eth0:#" virtual interfaces w/o
problems?

Yes.

FYI:
The concept of "virtual interfaces" a la eth0:# died long ago. Nowadays it's simply IP addresses which are either primary or secondary, and either with scope host, local or forgot_the_others ;).

We use heartbeat and setup our failover addresses within the
haresources file using the provided IPaddr script (uses /sbin/ifconfig) to
add and remove these addresses on failover.

Now, this of course is a different cup of tea. I do not know if your requirement can be fulfilled by the heartbeat software. I only know that technically it is absolutely no problem to have several thousands of IP addresses assigned to one interface and give them different labels. I stopped using ifconfig on Linux years ago, so I wouldn't know, sorry.

I'm sure Horms can give you an appropriate response and if not, I could check the linux-ha sources for you, deal?

Best regards,
Roberto Nibali, ratz
--
echo '[q]sa[ln0=aln256%Pln256/snlbx]sb3135071790101768542287578439snlbxq' | dc