Re: Virtual Interfaces?

Subject: Re: Virtual Interfaces?
From: <ntadmin@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 17 Dec 2003 14:20:19 -0800
> To be more precise: "not the reverse iff labels are not used".
Ok.. all is clear now..

> > # ip addr add 192.168.108.1 dev eth1 brd & label eth1:1
>
> s/&/+/
>
> How could your line as depicted above ever work?? In the shell the '&'
> puts the command into the background.

sorry, the '&' is actuall a '+' ... typo ;)

> >>look at the ampersand at the end of the
> >>
> >>done&
> >
> > Maybe I'm being dense again, but I don't understand the significance of
the
> > ampersand...
>
> I didn't get that one either :)

I think maybe what he meant is what you said above.. the & is meant to run
the command in the background (part of a shell script) so reducing the
number or gratuitous arps will not make the script run faster.

Thanks a bunch for all your input guys!  I really appreciate all your help,
this is all starting to make sense to me now. ;)

-Billy Olson