Re: Virtual Interfaces?

Subject: Re: Virtual Interfaces?
From: Horms <horms@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 18 Dec 2003 13:00:12 +0900
On Wed, Dec 17, 2003 at 07:34:03PM +0100, Roberto Nibali wrote:
> Hello,
>
> >I appreciate the quick response.  However, I'm not sure if this answers my
> >original question.
>
> I am, regarding your original question :).
>
> >Can we exceed 255 "eth0:#" virtual interfaces w/o
> >problems?
>
> Yes.
>
> FYI:
> The concept of "virtual interfaces" a la eth0:# died long ago. Nowadays
> it's simply IP addresses which are either primary or secondary, and either
> with scope host, local or forgot_the_others ;).
>
> >We use heartbeat and setup our failover addresses within the
> >haresources file using the provided IPaddr script (uses /sbin/ifconfig) to
> >add and remove these addresses on failover.
>
> Now, this of course is a different cup of tea. I do not know if your
> requirement can be fulfilled by the heartbeat software. I only know that
> technically it is absolutely no problem to have several thousands of IP
> addresses assigned to one interface and give them different labels. I
> stopped using ifconfig on Linux years ago, so I wouldn't know, sorry.
>
> I'm sure Horms can give you an appropriate response and if not, I could
> check the linux-ha sources for you, deal?

THere is a new IPaddr2 script in the heartbeat CVS tree that
used ip rather than ifconfig. That should resolve that problem.

Though, please double check that you really need to failover
that many addresses. If they are on blocks of contigious addresses
then you can just route them to a single VIP.

--
Horms