Re: Virtual Interfaces?

Subject: Re: Virtual Interfaces?
From: <ntadmin@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 18 Dec 2003 13:02:44 -0800
> FYI, with keepalived, failover takes around 1 second for me on a
> production system with about 2,000 connections/second.  Of course I have
> only one virtual IP.  I believe keepalived uses gratuitous arp and
> adds/removes ip's via C code using the "ip" method otherwise I'm not
> sure how it accomplishes this feat. It may be worth giving it a try.

Yeah, when we had very few IP addresses on the system it would failover in a
matter of seconds as well, even when we used the older IPaddr script.  But
to compare almost 20min of downtime to less than 3... Now that's an
improvement!!  I would have to say that it's just a fact of life that we are
gonna have to deal with some lag whilst we are trying to failover this many
resources.  Everything takes some time and when you try to do everything at
once, well you're either gonna trip and fall or you're gonna have to wait a
bit.  Given the options, I think I'll be content waiting.. ;)

-Billy Olson