Re: RS also a client

Subject: Re: RS also a client
From: Joseph Mack <mack.joseph@xxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 03 May 2004 13:48:55 -0400
rkhamilton wrote:

> Adding rules like:
>
> iptables -t nat -A POSTROUTING -p tcp -s 172.16.10.0/24 --dport 80 -j
> MASQUERADE
>
> alllowed for outbound natted connections from the web servers, as
> clients, to other web servers.

fine

> no iproute2 stuff required. I suspect that my configuration is not the
> same as you might have expected. The only path to the Internet is
> through the director.

the iproute2 stuff is for security.
Normally you would have rules to only allow packets to 0/0 from
VIP:80, ie no clients allowed to connect to 0/0
Now when you allow clients on the realserver, you should change
the rules to also allow clients to only connect to 0:80.
As well with iproute2 you only route the packets to 0:80
but not to any other port.

If your realserver is compromised, you don't want
other clients to be able to connect to the outside world

SAIC, Supporting the EPA Research Triangle Park, NC 919-541-0007
Federal Contact - John B. Smith 919-541-1087 - smith.johnb@xxxxxxx