iptables and LVS

Subject: iptables and LVS
From: "Nielsen, Steve" <SNielsen@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 4 Jun 2004 10:07:04 -0400
I want to run iptables and LVS on the same box. My LVS setup will be as follows
(NAT based):

                 internet
                  +

                  +
                 lvs
                  +

         +--------+---------+
         |                  |
     real server        real server

I want to establish iptables rules which will do the following:

1. Disallow all new connections from the outside to the lvs box except for
traffic destined for the VIP/ports I have defined in LVS.
2. Allow inbound/outbound traffic for established/related connections on the
LVS box.

So in a sense the lvs box is a "firewall" but only to protect itself.

I have read the LVS HOW-TO section 17.1 which talks about running LVS and
netfilter together on the same box.  It mentions the ipvs_nfct module.  Do I
need to do this for this situation?  The HOW-TO is not very clear.  It mentions
on one hand in section 17.1 that you need the nfct module but then at the end
of 17.1 it says: "You can (and always have been able to) use firewall rules
that match by device, proto, port or IP, without using ipvs netfilter
connection tracking module, ipvs_nfct.".  So my question is when do you need
the module and when do you not need it?

Thanks,
Steve

New from comScore: A Window into the Mind of the Consumer

       "Finally, an accurate view of what consumers
        have never been able to tell you"

comScore Survey Research at www.comscore.com/surveyresearch