Re: Jabber Scalability and LVS

Subject: Re: Jabber Scalability and LVS
From: Joseph Mack <mack.joseph@xxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 02 Feb 2005 05:50:06 -0500
Jon Phillips wrote:

> Hello, I'm wondering if anyone has made an LVS setup using jabber, the open
> source messaging solution? (jabber.org).

not that we've heard. I assume you aren't the first person to think of doing
this, but if it's not possible, we haven't heard about that either.

> I'm trying to scale this jabber network for more than a million concurrent
> users. Would LVS help this?

I don't know much about jabber. I assume it's tcp and that each client keeps
open a tcp connection to a particular port (6667?) on the jabber server for
the whole session, sending and receiving messages.

Since any port is only able to make 2^16 connections and you want 2^20
simulateous
connections, then you'll need 2^4 realservers in your LVS to make this number
of
connections. So far so good.

The next problem is what happens when the client writes (sends a message) to
the
jabber server which in this case would be a bunch of LVS realservers. In a
normal
jabber setup (I expect) the client's message will be sent from
server_IP:jabber_port
to the receiver who also has a connection to server_IP:jabber_port. In the case
of a bunch of realservers, the receiver will likely be connected to another
realserver
and the realserver you're connected to won't have a connection to the receiver.

Does this sound right?

LMIT, Supporting the EPA Research Triangle Park, NC 919-541-0007
Federal Contact - John B. Smith 919-541-1087 - smith.johnb@xxxxxxx