Performance issues with LVS-NAT

To: lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Performance issues with LVS-NAT
From: Ed Fisher <efisher@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 8 Feb 2005 16:23:56 -0600
Hey all,

We're trying to setup LVS to serve as a drop-in replacement for a pair of Cisco CSS 11050s. We aren't doing any fancy layer 7 stuff on the CSS, like passing certain directories to other servers, or anything like that.

I got it all setup, working, and I was able to drop it in for the CSSes pretty smoothly. However, a few problems required me to put us back on the CSSes.

Here they are:

1) None of the real servers can load pages from virtualized IPs. That is, if a server is a real server (and thus has as its gateway the LVS director), it can't get any services that the director provides. This is a pretty minor problem, one we can work around, but would rather not. Any ideas on how to permit this?

2) The big one. Our traffic spikes on the CSS hit 90mbit/s. Not huge by a lot of standards, but still sizable. The CSS was pushing out about 50mbit/s when we cut over to the LVS-NAT box, and traffic immediately dropped to about 20mbit/s, never breaking 30.

More information on #2:

A test download from a box on another network, with a 100mbit connection to the Internet, was able to download a single file at well over 40mbit/s through the CSS. Through the LVS, it peaked at 1Mbit/s at the beginning and then quickly fell to about 300kbit/s after a few seconds, and stayed there.

The hardware for the LVS machine: P4 2.26ghz, 2GB of memory. Two e1000 NICs, but both are hooked up to 100mbit switches, since we haven't done our gigabit upgrade yet.

Software: Debian sarge, running (I've tried all three): two monolithic 2.6.10 kernels and the stock debian 2.6.8-686-2 kernel. I'm using the ipvsadm, heartbeat, etc packages from ultramonkey.org.

ipvsadm -Ln showed about 150 active connections and 750 inactive connections to each of the 6 real servers on our busiest VIP, the one that accounts for 95% of traffic. ipvsadm -Lcn showed in the rage of 6,000 total connections, which matches up with the number of active+inactive.

Since the LVS machine is the default gateway for all of the real servers, I've got SNAT rules applied to the postrouting chain so our outbound connections still work.

Anyway, the big question is, why would I be seeing such miserable performance? Everything I've seen says the hardware I have is overkill, even for LVS-NAT, and I should be able to work with almost any amount of traffic I throw at it.

I can post more information if desired.

Thanks in advance,
Ed Fisher