Re: Performance issues with LVS-NAT

Subject: Re: Performance issues with LVS-NAT
From: Joseph Mack <mack.joseph@xxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 09 Feb 2005 06:08:57 -0500
Ed Fisher wrote:

> 1) None of the real servers can load pages from virtualized IPs.

http://www.austintek.com/LVS/LVS-HOWTO/mini-HOWTO/LVS-mini-HOWTO.html#gotchas

look at the entry by Jacob Reif

> 2)  The big one.  Our traffic spikes on the CSS hit 90mbit/s.  Not huge
> by a lot of standards, but still sizable.  The CSS was pushing out
> about 50mbit/s when we cut over to the LVS-NAT box, and traffic
> immediately dropped to about 20mbit/s, never breaking 30.

You should be able to saturate a 100Mbps link on the outside of the director
(the one with the VIP) with any modern hardware. Do you have any filter
rules in?

Joe

> Since the LVS machine is the default gateway for all of the real
> servers, I've got SNAT rules applied to the postrouting chain so our
> outbound connections still work.

outbound LVS connections or outbound connections from other clients running
on the realservers? You don't need outbound rules for the LVS connections,
the director handles that. If so remove these rules.

LMIT, Supporting the EPA Research Triangle Park, NC 919-541-0007
Federal Contact - John B. Smith 919-541-1087 - smith.johnb@xxxxxxx