RE: Performance issues with LVS-NAT

Subject: RE: Performance issues with LVS-NAT
From: "Peter Mueller" <pmueller@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 8 Feb 2005 15:17:02 -0800
> 1) None of the real servers can load pages from virtualized
> IPs.  That
> is, if a server is a real server (and thus has as its gateway the LVS
> director), it can't get any services that the director
> provides.  This
> is a pretty minor problem, one we can work around, but would rather
> not.  Any ideas on how to permit this?

See this thread
http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=linux-virtual-server&m=94879256007461&w=2

> 2)  The big one.  Our traffic spikes on the CSS hit 90mbit/s.
>  Not huge
> by a lot of standards, but still sizable.  The CSS was pushing out
> about 50mbit/s when we cut over to the LVS-NAT box, and traffic
> immediately dropped to about 20mbit/s, never breaking 30.

How did you measure this?  Did you notice anything unusual about the traffic?
Was the service available during this period?

> A test download from a box on another network, with a 100mbit
> connection to the Internet, was able to download a single
> file at well
> over 40mbit/s through the CSS.  Through the LVS, it peaked at 1Mbit/s
> at the beginning and then quickly fell to about 300kbit/s after a few
> seconds, and stayed there.

How did you download?  Assuming http?  What does testlvs show?
http://www.austintek.com/LVS/LVS-HOWTO/HOWTO/LVS-HOWTO.operation.html#testlvs

> The hardware for the LVS machine: P4 2.26ghz, 2GB of memory.
> Two e1000
> NICs, but both are hooked up to 100mbit switches, since we
> haven't done our gigabit upgrade yet.

Hardware should be good at either.  Certainly up to >=100 megabit.  Depending
on packet size the LVS should move to > 800 megabit/s.  Something is wrong.