Re: Email alerts for ldirectord (patch in URL)

Subject: Re: Email alerts for ldirectord (patch in URL)
From: Horms <horms@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 3 Aug 2005 14:43:49 +0900
On Tue, Aug 02, 2005 at 05:53:16PM -0400, Reid Sutherland wrote:
> On 8/2/05, Peter Mueller <pmueller@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > > Nice patch, but you're not even checking to see if
> > > /usr/lib/sendmail exists or if it even ran without errors.
> > > Ideally you would make all these variables, configuration
> > > variables as well.  I'd have to say this patch is incomplete,
> > > but it's a good idea.
> >
> > This is true, but it works on RedHat and Suse.  I'll be happy to change my
> > patch for your distro(s) if you have any patch updates..
> >
> > Ldirectord needs email alert functionality.  I'm sure there's a better way
> > of
> > doing it - isn't there always with Perl - but this does work.
>
> I personally would investigate getting those variables into the config
> file first.  And then check the return value of sendmail.  You could
> optionally use module as well, such as Mail::Sendmail.

Thanks for the patch, here are few comments.

Things I'd like to see fixed before adding to the tree:

1. The alerts need to be able to be turned on or off in the
   configuration file. Perhaps a simple configuration varibale, that can
   be global and per-virtual, and defaults to off. alertmail might not
   be such a bad name
2. The addresses also need to be configurable, again on a global or
   per-virtual basis. alertmailfailaddress, alertmailsuccessaddress
   might not be such bad names, though they are rather long.

I am also concerend about using /usr/lib/sendmail directly,
and this is probably the main reason I haven't added this feature
in the past. I'm happy to live with it for now, but its certainly
an area for improvement in the future.

--
Horms