Re: ldirectord does not start: please help

Subject: Re: ldirectord does not start: please help
From: Horms <horms@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 11 Aug 2005 16:50:26 +0900
On Thu, Aug 11, 2005 at 12:57:41PM +0530, Vijay K wrote:
> Thank U
> And going by the information,it seems that the location perl is looking for
> its modules is a bit adavanced than the location where the ultramonkey rpms
> are getting parked.
> Now this seems to be the problem for the whole set of rpms available from
> ultramonkey since they are for fedora core 1 and i am using fedora core 4.
> I just need one statement from u people whether i can remove all those rpms
> provided for fc 1 by ultramonkey and try to install the new latest rpms of
> teh same type.I am not too sure if they work teh same way..Plz. i need ur
> suggestion:
> For eg: Net-SSLeay provided by ultramonkey is:
> perl-Net-SSLeay-1.23-1.fr.c.1.um.1.i386.rpm
> The newer one is : perl-Net-SSLeay-1.25-2.2.fc4.rf.i386.rpm (Notice since
> this is not a ultramonkey package it doesnt have .um. )
> OR
> Shud the src rpm be reinstalled and taht settles the matters
> I am saking u beacuse the heartbeat for failover is working and i dont want
> to upset the configuartion unless i am sure that the newer rpms can b used
> just as fine

You should use the packages that are supplied by your distribution
where possible. The only reason that Ultra Monkey supplies these
packages is because they were missing from Fedora Core 1.

However, fundamentally, the packages on the ultramonkey site
were built and tested for Fedora Core 1. So I really don't know
what might break on Fedora Core 4, but here is what I would do
if I was in your shoes:

1. Go through the packages on the ultramonkey site and if the
   same package, or a package that provides the same code but
   for some reason has a different name, exists in Fedora Core 4,
   install it.

2. Then go and rebuild all the other packages by installing the
   src.rpm, updating the package name, say from fr.c.1.um.1 to
   fr4.um.1 by editing the .spec file unpacked in the .src.rpm
   build, and rebuilding using rpmbuild -ba

   You may also need to make additional updates to the packaging,
   perhaps changing dependancy names, or in the case of perl
   packages, tweaking the build process.

   Note that there is an order to this, as a lot of the packages
   requrire other packages from the ultramonkey site to
   be installed before they can be built. But rest asured there
   are no loops and it can be done - what I am describing
   here is exactly what I would do.

3. Collect up all the new fr4.um.1 packatges you have, install,
   test, and then make them available somewhere so others can use them.
   I'd be happy to add them to ultramonkey.org. If you're not
   comfortable with that it would probably be best to use something
   other than "um" in your package versions, as um is a tag
   to denote utramonkey packages available from ultramonkey.org.

Also, if you are going to do this, you would probably be
best to work with the RHEL3 packages supplied for Ultra Monkey 3.
Ultra Monkey 2.0.1 is quite old by now. You can skip the arptables
packages, they shouldn't be needed on Fedora Core 4.

--
Horms