Re: Taking out realserver for maintenance

To: lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Taking out realserver for maintenance
From: Jan Bruvoll <jan@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 16 Aug 2005 10:44:16 +0100
>You can see the persistance teplates, and the progress of their
>timeouts, in amongst other connection entries if you run ipvsadm -Lcn.
>The persistance entries are the one with a client port of 0.

Dawning suspicion here - if a connection some time ago triggered the
creation of a persistance template, with the 360 seconds template, that
template would actually stick around for as long as this client comes
back to access the cluster - i.e. if I change the persistance of the
virtualserver to, say, 5 seconds, that would only apply to -new-
connections from clients previously "unknown" to the cluster, and the
already existing template could only expire if the client goes away for
more than 360 seconds, the original timeout?

If that is the case, I can understand why old connections "never" go away...

While I am at it; this seems a little odd, given that I have never set
anything but persistances of either 360 seconds or 5 seconds:

app-2 ~ # ipvsadm -Lcn|grep 10.42.0.202|grep x.y.z.w
TCP 01:02  NONE        x.y.z.w:0   ext-ip:443 10.42.0.202:443
TCP 10:32  ESTABLISHED x.y.z.w:4254 ext-ip:443 10.42.0.202:443

How should i interpret that ~10 minutes expire timeout? (I have "worse"
ones too, all the way up to close to 20 minutes)

Thanks again
Jan