Re: Taking out realserver for maintenance

Subject: Re: Taking out realserver for maintenance
From: Jan Bruvoll <jan@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 15 Aug 2005 18:46:16 +0100
Joseph Mack NA3T wrote:

> On Mon, 15 Aug 2005, Jan Bruvoll wrote:
>
>> Dear list,
>>
>> I need to take a realserver out from one of my VS configs temporarily,
>> and I have tried doing this by setting the weight of this particular
>> realserver to 0. However, nothing is happening - the server is still
>> receiving connections as before I made the adjustment.
>

> don't really know. While waiting for someone who does...
>
> if a client connected to app-1 is still connected, setting weight to 0
> won't make them go away. Would you expect a client to maintain
> connection for several hours?
>
> Horms has instructions in the HOWTO for breaking the connection to a
> persistently connected client. It may be part of current ipvsadm now
> for all I know.
>
> Joe

Hi Joe,

the number of connections not going down until the clients connecting to
this server have all gone away is expected. However, since I issued the
command the number of active connections has actually increased, much in
line with the distribution across the other servers in the same group,
leading me to think that the config hasn't kicked in at all (the number
of connections still seems very much like a weight of 5 is still active...)

Regards
Jan

PS. I've now even tried setting the persistence for this particular
group to 5 seconds, without any noticeable effect.