Re: lvs with ssh with kerberos

Subject: Re: lvs with ssh with kerberos
From: Ryan Leathers <ryan.leathers@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 02 Mar 2006 10:28:15 -0500
If you kerberize your host - that is to say, you have stuff like your
ssh client using kerberos-compatible versions, and your authentication
happening against kerberos, then it works something like this:

I sit down at my favorite Linux workstation and open a shell so I can
ssh to some other host on my network.  Assuming I have not done so
recently, the host I'm trying to reach won't be able to verify me.
Instead, both my local host and the target host will rely on an
authentication server to generate a new encryption key and distribute it
to both parties.  This is the session key.  A Kerberos ticket is used to
distribute the session key which includes info about me / my host that
will be used by the target host to verify my connection.  When the
server passes this back to me, I forward it on to the target host as
part of my authentication request.  So, the ticket will be encrypted in
a server key, which is known only by the server and the target host.
nifty huh?

The ticket-granting-ticket just extends this to make life a little
easier.  We assume that some period of time is an acceptable amount for
ticket granting without requiring the user to type in a password every
time a ticket is needed.  In short, I authenticate myself once to the
server, and it allows me to perform any number of permitted
authentications during the allowed time period.  The ports used are
likely going to be 88 for the kdc and possibly 749 for the admin server.

This is all a very brief description of what is going on, but it covers
the basic ideas.