Re: lvs with ssh with kerberos

Subject: Re: lvs with ssh with kerberos
From: Ryan Leathers <ryan.leathers@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 07 Mar 2006 09:22:15 -0500
Once again, this is not a good idea.  Don't do it.

The kerberos replication system only permits one active admin server, so
there is no opportunity for load balancing of the admin function.  You
shouldn't try to fool it by using LVS.  You'll likely screw up the
replication.

What you should do instead is to list multiple KDC's in your krb5.conf
file.  Take a look at that and notice the section under [realms].  All
you need to do is list multiple kdc's like so:

[realms]
        EXAMPLE.COM = {
        default_domain = example.com
        admin_server = krbadmin
        kdc = kdcserver1
        kdc = kdcserver2
        kdc = kdcserver3
        }

So, there you have it.  By specifying multiple KDC servers you will be
getting the behavior you really want, in case you lose a server for a
little while, things will just keep on chugin' in your network.  Don't
get me wrong - LVS is a great tool, but its not the answer to every
problem of service redundancy.

peace,

Ryan