Re: ipvs and source nat

Subject: Re: ipvs and source nat
From: Joseph Mack NA3T <jmack@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 25 Sep 2006 05:58:33 -0700 (PDT)
On Sun, 24 Sep 2006, Dan McCormick wrote:

I have an existing public IP (VIP #1)
owned by an existing director (DIP #1) hitting a group of eight web
servers.  I'm moving to a second IP (VIP #2) owned by a separate
director (DIP #2) hitting the same group of eight web servers.

OK how about this:

add a 2nd RIP to each realserver (I assume they're on private IPs, so you have plenty of IPs) - just put a 2nd IP onto the NIC with `ip addr add ...`. You'll need to activate the service on the realservers on the new IP too.

Set up the new director to load balance the new set of IPs.

You now have to get the packets back from the realservers to the right DIP.

On each realserver, instead of a default gateway have a route from RIP1:80 to DIP1 and from RIP2:80 to DIP2 (this will need the iproute2 tools), You may be able to set up a route from RIP1 to DIP1 and RIP2 to DIP2 (ie all ports).