RE: Geographically separated load balancers?

Subject: RE: Geographically separated load balancers?
From: Joseph Mack NA3T <jmack@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 21 Nov 2006 04:55:51 -0800 (PST)
On Mon, 20 Nov 2006, Neil Aggarwal wrote:

Joe:

The servers will be in datacenters that I lease space from.
It looks like I will need cooperation from both of those
datacenters to make this work.  I am not sure they would
be willing to do that.

Is this something datacenters would normally work with
me on or is it beyond the norm?

having geographically dispersed servers is routine. People want this to handle local failures and so clients will get a machine near them on the internet. Usually this is the big boys with lots of money, so they have their own data centers all over the place or rent space from ISPs that have data centers all over the place. If you go talk to two small ISPs in two different locations, you'll find they have their block of IPs and they can't use someone else's IP (the VIP) to handle a failover elsewhere. I think the chances of you getting cooperation for just two boxes are small even if they can do it.

You should be able to get what you want if you look at your specs again. Individual ISP's/datacenters loose routing once or twice a year despite redundant links to the outside. However you can regard them as reliable as it gets for finite money. So let's assume the setup you have at any one site is reliable (you can handle failover within your setup yourself). Why do you need geographically dispersed servers? To have the client close (network wise) to a server?

How a client in Ireland gets sent to a server in England while someone on the east coast of USA gets a server in NewYork I don't know. The machine name is the same in both cases. Anyone know how this is handled?

Thanks Joe