Re: Geographically separated load balancers?

Subject: Re: Geographically separated load balancers?
From: Roberto Nibali <ratz@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 22 Nov 2006 15:44:37 +0100
How a client in Ireland gets sent to a server in England while someone on the east coast of USA gets a server in NewYork I don't know. The machine name is the same in both cases. Anyone know how this is handled?

You either use:

a) Server side re-direct
b) DNS based geographic load balancing
c) BGP
d) Combination of BGP & Geographic DNS

My 2 'additional' cents:

If we are talking about web services, a nice but not very known and sometimes also not feasible approach is the proxy.pac URL hash load balancing, best explained at:

http://naragw.sharp.co.jp/sps/
http://naragw.sharp.co.jp/sps/sps-e.html

Best regards,
Roberto Nibali, ratz
--
echo '[q]sa[ln0=aln256%Pln256/snlbx]sb3135071790101768542287578439snlbxq' | dc