Re: Using LVS to replace Netscaler Load Balancer

Subject: Re: Using LVS to replace Netscaler Load Balancer
From: Joseph Mack NA3T <jmack@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 19 Jan 2007 01:43:56 -0800 (PST)
On Tue, 16 Jan 2007, Philip M wrote:

Dear LVS-Users,

I work at a fairly large company with a somewhat complex network that uses
Netscaler server load balancers.
I'm just a linux monkey, but I'm evaluating using LVS as a replacement for
the expensive Netscalers.
I have set up a basic test LVS-DR and LVS-NAT network and its working fine.
(thanks for all the excellent documentation!)

This is my problem:

The network is set up in such a way, that the RIP's default gateways all
point to a router (not the netscaler load balancer).
After talking with some colleagues, I've come to realize that the
Netscaler's NAT implementation is doing something different.
They are essentially proxying the TCP connection, rewriting both the
Destination and the Source before sending the packet
off to the RIP.

like this?

http://www.austintek.com/LVS/LVS-HOWTO/HOWTO/LVS-HOWTO.LVS-NAT.html#F5_snat

we don't do this (yet), but we would like to be able to do it. Don't expect it any time real soon though.

 The RIP's reply goes through the default gateway (some
random router) back to the Netscaler, which replies to the CIP.
I've been going over the documentation and the mailing lists and am a bit
unclear if I can use LVS to do this.

see the HOWTO for problems failing out nfs if you're thinking of using LVS for fileserver.

The Brownfield patch is not going to help you.