Re: super slow speeds from director

Subject: Re: super slow speeds from director
From: Joseph Mack NA3T <jmack@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2007 05:12:59 -0800 (PST)
On Tue, 20 Feb 2007, Matthew wrote:

Hi gang,
We've been running a 3 machine setup (1 dir, 2 rs) in TUN mode for
about the past 2 months.

Recently we've had this affliction where if you goto www.omnovia.com,
everything is super ass slow. But if you goto wwwdb1.omnovia.com (or
wwwdb2) everything is blazing fast.

I assume you're talking about direct connection to the realservers here.

I'm talking huge differences here. People on a T1 downloading a file
from www are getting around 10KB/sec and that same file from wwwdb1 is
around 110KB/sec.

This problem started this morning for the 2nd time. It happened about
2 weeks ago but we did nothing to the setup and the problem seemed to
fix itself. But now that it's happened again we need some answers.

is the problem seen from the same client machine during this time or are random people having the problem - ie is it a time problem or a client/client call problem?

I'd also add that my connection from home doesn't have this problem.
From home, www, wwwdb1, wwwdb2 are all blazing fast. But we just had a
customer call from Chicago who was getting slow speeds and here in our
office its slow as well to www but not to db1, db2.

(Since it's only occuring with some clients, I'll assume the problem is not in LVS, but somewhere else. I know there are flaws in this assumption, but it's somewhere to start.)

Can you do exactly the call from home (or good site) that your customer in Chicago has problems with?

If you can't reproduce the problem from home, you'll have to get the Chicago person on the phone and tcpdump the connection.

Otherwise you may have weird hardware in the connection (I know this won't be easy to track down)

http://www.austintek.com/LVS/LVS-HOWTO/HOWTO/LVS-HOWTO.weird_hardware.html

in particular look at this

http://www.austintek.com/LVS/LVS-HOWTO/HOWTO/LVS-HOWTO.weird_hardware.html#weird_hardware_VII