Re: super slow speeds from director

Subject: Re: super slow speeds from director
From: Joseph Mack NA3T <jmack@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2007 08:27:09 -0800 (PST)
On Wed, 21 Feb 2007, Matthew wrote:

is the problem seen from the same client machine during this time or are random people having the problem

It seems almost random. Here in our office, we have one DSL connection and all our desktop computers experience this behavior. From my house, Cable, no issues. From a friend in another city, no issues. From a customer in Chicago, issues present. ping's and traceroutes to/from all machines (including DIR and RS) are super fast.

OK so the problem depends on the client's location (I assume they're all doing the same thing as client).

(Since it's only occuring with some clients, I'll assume the problem is not in LVS, but somewhere else. I know there are flaws in this assumption, but it's somewhere to start.)

But it's gotta be LVS/DIR right? Since accessing the same page via DIR vs RS gives differences, and the DIR is the point of entry, wouldn't that make it a LVS/DIR problem?

It's an interaction between the setups of certain customers and LVS. We don't know whether it's LVS or the customer's setup yet. To show that it's LVS we have to show that the customer's hardware is behaving properly. There are plenty of precedents that it doesn't. If the customer's hardware isn't working properly, it will be relatively easy to fix. Because of the triangulation involved in LVS-DR/Tun, the tcp agreements have to be maintained more tightly. In this case a bare server may not have problems when and LVS will. I'm only looking at the non-LVS part of your setup for a solution, because it's going to be a lot quicker to fix/exclude than looking in the LVS.

Can you do exactly the call from home (or good site) that your customer in Chicago has problems with?

Yep. We are all doing the same call, that speedtest.html page. Feel free to try it yourself.

I can't see the traffic on the realservers from here.

If you can't reproduce the problem from home, you'll have to get the Chicago person on the phone and tcpdump the connection.

The person in Chicago is a pretty important customer and I don't want them to know we are having issues. Since our local office is having problems, I'll tcpdump an office d/l and then one from home. Will post when I get them.

reasonable.

Otherwise you may have weird hardware in the connection (I know this won't be easy to track down)

If the hardware was the problem and the hardware hasn't changed since day 1, wouldn't this problem have affected us from day 1? This problem has only happened once in the past; about a week ago. It affected us for about 2-3 days then seemed to clear itself up. Now its happening again.

well something is different; hardware, software...