Re: [lvs-users] LVS software comparisons and opinions

Subject: Re: [lvs-users] LVS software comparisons and opinions
From: Gerry Reno <greno@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 05 Jul 2007 14:32:44 -0400
Nick Stephens wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I am quite new to LVS, and learned about it initially as a part of Redhat
> Enterprise Servers.  Because of that I initially thought that redhat was
> the primary resource for clustering and load balancing, but thanks to the
> linuxvirtualservers.org site I now see that there are many options.
>
> The one thing that I do not see on the website, presumably because it is
> opinion based, is a comparison of the various resources available to
> achieve HA load balancing.
>
> To that end I pose this question:
>

> What do you feel is the "best" (in terms of reliability, ease of
> maintenance, etc) option to pursue when attempting to create an LVS?

As with almost everything in FOSS there is no "best". There are only
options and you must become familiar with the options by testing them
and then deciding which works best for your particular
needs/likes/dislikes/preferences.

> As a followup I will pose a pretty simple scenario (mine) in which we
> would use this solution:
>
> 6 redhat linux webservers (rhel5) running apache and resin (java).  Resin
> handles it's own load balancing internally, so the only real issue here is
> apache.
>
> My aspirations are to introduce a solution that allows us to have a single
> IP dns entry (as opposed to our current round robin setup), and have new
> clients sent to the realserver that is least in use.  Another critical
> component is monitoring the realserver to ensure that port 80 is still
> answering, and to stop sending clients there if it isn't.  Pretty
> straightforward for this setup, right?
>
> So if you had to set this up and sell it as a reliable HA system to your
> boss(es), which software package would you use for this?  Piranha,
> Ultramonkey, Keepalived?

Magic 8-ball says...

There are a zillion ways to setup an HA configuration. I would start by
downloading something like heartbeat and working with it for a while
until you were comfortable that you would understand it and know how to
control it. Then I would maybe look at something like DRBD which is very
simple. Might be all you need for HA. If you want big scalability then
look for IPVS, LVS, keepalived, ldirectord, ipvsman, ipvsadm and start
working with these in various combinations until you see which you like.
As the LVS website will show there are many ways to work with IPVS.

I know these aren't the answers you were looking for. But no one is
going to be able to tell you exactly what is "best" for you.