Re: [lvs-users] LVS software comparisons and opinions

Subject: Re: [lvs-users] LVS software comparisons and opinions
From: "Mark" <msalists@xxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 5 Jul 2007 12:10:47 -0700
I am at a similar point and just started similar a kind of research.
We have been running on Fedora for several years now, using ultramonkey,
ldirectord and LVS. It has been very reliable; however - at
least for us - there are two big problems with this combination:
A) Fedora has very short release cycles. It is hard to keep production servers
up-to-date and the point at which a version is not
maintained any more even by the Fedora legacy project seems to be reached too
soon. This is compounded by the fact that we do not
have a hardcore full-time linux-guru sysadmin.
B) Ultramonkey does not come with Fedora, so upgrading the kernel becomes a
major pain because every time a kernel upgrade is
necessary, sources have to be collected from different places, dependencies
have to be resolved, etc.

So I have started some research to see if there is a linux distro that does
come with ultramonkey or something similar, has slower
release cycles and is still free, yet production-reliable.

When I saw your post, somecomments came to my mind. First however, a quick
disclaimer: Since my research is not complete yet, there
might be things that I have overlooked or gotten wrong (particularly packages
in a distro which are there but which I am not aware
of):

1. Because you mentioned ultramonkey: as far as I know, Redhat does not ship
with an ultramonkey RPM (someone correct me if I am
wrong). So you would have to compile from source, make sure everything is
compatible, and do the same thing again each time you
upgrade to a new redhat version or even just a new kernel RPM. Unless you enjoy
compiling stuff from sources and have the luxury of
having enough time and knowledge to do so (or somebody who does it for you) you
should go with something that comes standard with
whatever Linux distro you use, so that the pain and risk during an upgrade is
minimized. Remember - you are talking about production
servers in the end.

2. In case pricing is an issue: CentOS 5 is free and seems to ship with the
entire Redhat clustering suite. I have not used it yet,
but just started to look into it to make sure that nothing is missing in
CentOS. CentOS is Redhat based, so all the config files are
in the same places that Redhat and Fedora have them, there are the same package
managers, services, config-programs, install
screens, etc.

3. I went through Redhat's "Cluster Suite Overview" document and it seems like
they do not offer any file-system level redundancy or
failover. What I mean is essentially something like a Raid-1 or Raid-5 spread
over several servers, which is transparently mountable
over NFS or some other remote file system protocol. So in case one of the
storage servers goes down, the other server(s) still
has/have all the data. I think DRBD would be the closest thing to that, but I
am not sure if Redhat comes with that; at least it is
not mentioned in any Redhat doc I have read so far. I am not sure if CentOS
comes with it...
Redhat does come with their GFS (Global File System), which is essentially a
Logical Volume Manager (LVM) that spreads volumes over
multiple different servers, but it seems like there is no redundancy. Whatever
data is stored on one server is not stored on any
other server. So if that one server goes down, whatever part of the GFS file
system was stored on that server is gone.

4. Gentoo seems to come with a lot of different HA frameworks and packages.
However

I hope this helps. Let me know if you find out more, or if anything I said
above is wrong/incomplete and needs to be corrected.

MARK