Re: [lvs-users] LVS-DR vs. LVS-NAT

Subject: Re: [lvs-users] LVS-DR vs. LVS-NAT
From: Andreas Altenburg <andreas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 6 Feb 2008 11:19:57 +0100

>> Imagine the following configuration:
>>
>> director has a public IP, the VIP is within the same subnet. The real
>> servers should have private IP. So I guess, the only solution is
>> LVS-NAT. Am
>> I right? Or is it possible to use LVS-DR with only private IPs on
>> the real
>> servers a route via the director?
>
> It isn't possible (within reason) to use -DR where there is no VIP on
> the realserver. This is because the applications running on the
> realserver really need to know which IP address they're listening to,
> and which they need to respond from.
>
> However, you can still use private addressing with -DR as long as the
> public VIP is on a loopback adapter.
>
> Does that make sense?

Yes, i understand. But another question: I have problems configuring
the realserver with one internal (real) IP and the VIP on the lo
interface (with the director as the gateway of the lo):

ifconfig eth1 192.168.0.2 netmask 255.255.255.0 broadcast
192.168.0.255 up route add -net 192.168.0.0 netmask 255.255.255.0 dev
eth1 ifconfig lo:0 <VIP> netmask 255.255.255.255 broadcast <VIP> up
route add -host <VIP> dev lo:0
Where is my mistake? I do not want the real server to have a public IP
in the same subnet as the VIP on eth0. My VIP is a public IP. Hope,
you will understand my problem ;-)