Re: [lvs-users] LVS on FEDORA 8 - New Server

To: lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [lvs-users] LVS on FEDORA 8 - New Server
From: "adam chandley" <chandleya@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 9 Feb 2008 23:01:03 -0500
> > I've learned all the wrong ways and I know it.
>
> your only interest is to get the machines going. If you know
> the Redhat way of doing it and are happy administering that,
> then you should keep doing it. You won't get a lot of help
> here, because few people here are doing it that way. We
> don't like that Redhat went off and did it's own thing
> duplicating our work and then won't support it, leaving
> people to come here for help. But you've only got one life
> to live, and you can either keep the system you've got and
> then go an do other productive things with your life, or you
> can spend a couple of weeks learning a system that from the
> outside will look exactly the same. I won't give you a hard
> time for choosing to stay with your current system.

Redhat would be lovely, but now it costs much money and you have to pay even
more for their "clustering services" package. I'd rather just learn how to
write scripts to work with IPVSADM and such. I'm totally in -- if I could
just get a starting point.

> > What types of utilities exist to help me bridge the knowledge gap?
>
> If you're setting up LVS-NAT, do the LVS-NAT setup in the
> mini-HOWTO
>
> Joe

For me, the mini how-to seemed like too much information. I know, thats the
reverse of intent. Is there a cache of example setups to help me formulate
what I"m trying to accomplish?

> I've really learned to use.
>
> I am not sure that there are one-to-one replacements but there is:
> keepalived http://www.keepalived.org/
> and
> ipvsman http://wiki.inqbus.de/twiki/bin/view/Ipvsman
> among others.
>
> I like ipvsman, it is the seed of a cool system but a little young, 0.92 I
> think.
>
> You could also go a simple route and use something like monit
> http://www.tildeslash.com/monit/ to monitor the real servers and when they
> go
> up or down exec a script that runs ipvsadm to update the running LVS
> config.
> That's what I would do ;)  But just FYI that wouldn't be instantaneous -
> monit
> checks only every 30 seconds or less so if you have some dweeb managers
> who
> think "OMG we can't wait 30-60 second to switch a real server on/off" then
> that won't work for you and you'll need something that hammers your real
> servers constantly.
>

> > That said, I've become systems administrator and have chosen to rebuild
> the
> ,..see if you use all that power - because my experience
> is that you run into OS level limits (# of sockets, open file descriptors,
> etc) before you run into machine power level limits on any modern hardware
> -
> if you are just serving mostly static content. If you are doing dynamic,
> then yes you can chew up memory and CPU. But serving
> static content an 8 core 16 GB box gets me no more requests/sec than a
> dual
> core 0.5 GB box when running thttpd/nginx/lighttpd. So you may want to
> think
> about Xen and dividing up that power into static vs dynamic machines
> (domUs in
> Xen) or also dividing based on separating your webhosting clients on some
> domUs vs your newpaper servers on other domUs.
>

> OT:
> [BTW, what CPU model number is the 3.0 12 MB cache? Harpertown ...?
> I guess you're screwed if your one real server goes down.
> If you were buying those machines from Dell, do yourself a favor and check
> out
> the Supermicro 6015T-TB/TV "Twin" - 2 machines in 1U each with 2 drives, 2
> CPUs and 8 FB-DIMM/1333 Hz memory slots - I spec'd one out at new egg and
> it
> was less than half of the cost for a Dell 2950 - and half the electrical
> power
> use (and half the rack space!).]

I've considered returning the 2950 for multiple R200s. Honestly, we had a
cluster for the sake of processing and cheap availability of P4's versus
multi-processor xeons. That said, one can purchase 2.33ghz xeon's with 2gb
ram and dual 160gb drives for under a grand right now @ dell. I know
supermicro makes cool stuff, but dell's 4-hour turn around for support can't
be touched.

> > Now, the intent is to use Fedora 8 on the LVS servers which will also
> serve
> > as DNS1 and DNS2 servers. I've installed IPVSADM and heartbeat with no
> > problems, but i've totally grown up with LVS.CF as used by redhat. I've
> > learned all the wrong ways and I know it.
> >
> > What types of utilities exist to help me bridge the knowledge gap? I
> have a
> > SLIGHT understanding on how to use simply IPVSADM to perform the NAT
> work,
> > but what about the way Nanny worked with IPVSADM to drop defunct
> > connections?
>
> Do you have a pointer to docs on Nanny, I couldn't find anything in 10
> seconds
> of googling.

Nanny was setup in 2002. No idea on docs. :) sorry