[lvs-users] LVS on FEDORA 8 - New Server

To: lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [lvs-users] LVS on FEDORA 8 - New Server
From: "adam chandley" <chandleya@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 8 Feb 2008 13:48:39 -0500
Hi,

Adam C here from Greenevillesun ((dot)) com. We operate a number of
newspapers around the area and provide a modest amount of web hosting for
local businesses. We currently have 14 servers in an LVS cluster using LVS
1.0.4 on Redhat 7. Naturally, they were setup using Piranha-Nanny-LVS.cf and
all the other nasty redhat-proprietary tools. However, since I've been with
the company, these are the only methods I've really learned to use.

That said, I've become systems administrator and have chosen to rebuild the
cluster anew with much more advanced hardware. I've purchased just 3 servers
to take the place of the numerous slow P3/P4 machines that were previously
operating business. The new LVS/DNS servers are Xeon 2.33 w/ 2gb ram and
RAID 1. The "real server" behind it is an 8-core xeon 3.0 12mb cache 1333
bus w/ 16gb ram -- an amazing improvement over 3 p4 2.0s as a web server
cluster!

Now, the intent is to use Fedora 8 on the LVS servers which will also serve
as DNS1 and DNS2 servers. I've installed IPVSADM and heartbeat with no
problems, but i've totally grown up with LVS.CF as used by redhat. I've
learned all the wrong ways and I know it.

What types of utilities exist to help me bridge the knowledge gap? I have a
SLIGHT understanding on how to use simply IPVSADM to perform the NAT work,
but what about the way Nanny worked with IPVSADM to drop defunct
connections?