Re: [lvs-users] LVS on FEDORA 8 - New Server

Subject: Re: [lvs-users] LVS on FEDORA 8 - New Server
From: Graeme Fowler <graeme@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 09 Feb 2008 11:20:22 +0000
Hi Adam

On Fri, 2008-02-08 at 13:48 -0500, adam chandley wrote:
> Adam C here from Greenevillesun ((dot)) com. We operate a number of
> newspapers around the area and provide a modest amount of web hosting for
> local businesses. We currently have 14 servers in an LVS cluster using LVS
> 1.0.4 on Redhat 7. Naturally, they were setup using Piranha-Nanny-LVS.cf and
> all the other nasty redhat-proprietary tools. However, since I've been with
> the company, these are the only methods I've really learned to use.

There are several other options available to you (well, there were
before too!) but... the piranha packages are available for Centos5,
which is essentially the same as RHEL5 and in turn similar to Fedora 8.
You could do worse than download them and try them out.

> That said, I've become systems administrator and have chosen to rebuild the
> cluster anew with much more advanced hardware. I've purchased just 3 servers
> to take the place of the numerous slow P3/P4 machines that were previously
> operating business. The new LVS/DNS servers are Xeon 2.33 w/ 2gb ram and
> RAID 1. The "real server" behind it is an 8-core xeon 3.0 12mb cache 1333
> bus w/ 16gb ram -- an amazing improvement over 3 p4 2.0s as a web server
> cluster!

Now I do have to ask why you'd create a single real server, regardless
of power - if it goes off for whatever reason (power, patching,
overload), you're hamstrung.

> Now, the intent is to use Fedora 8 on the LVS servers which will also serve
> as DNS1 and DNS2 servers. I've installed IPVSADM and heartbeat with no
> problems, but i've totally grown up with LVS.CF as used by redhat. I've
> learned all the wrong ways and I know it.

Well, you could just continue with what you're already familiar with if
the Centos RPMs work. If they don't, grab the SRPM and compile that.

If that doesn't work there's:

ldirectord
keepalived
heartbeat/mon

They all do similar jobs in different ways. I guess the best thing to do
is try them, see what you think, and find the one that works for you.
Ask back here again for more specific help :)

Graeme