Re: [lvs-users] Problem InActConn

Subject: Re: [lvs-users] Problem InActConn
From: Stefan König <nme@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 17 Feb 2009 19:56:20 +0100
Stefan König schrieb:
> thanks for the link!
>
> before bringing up lo:87 with VIP i execute
>
> echo "1" >/proc/sys/net/ipv4/conf/all/arp_ignore
> echo "1" >/proc/sys/net/ipv4/conf/eth0/arp_ignore
>
> echo "2" > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/conf/eth0/arp_announce
> echo "2" > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/conf/all/arp_announce
>
> (i have only an eth0 in the machines)
> but it is still the same result....
> ipvsadm still shows me InActConns a -c -n lists them as FIN_WAIT.
>
> bye
> SK

I reply to myself because i re-checked the documentation at
http://www.austintek.com/LVS/LVS-HOWTO/HOWTO/LVS-HOWTO.ipvsadm.html
which says:

----
With LVS-NAT, the director sees all the packets between the client and
the realserver, so always knows the state of tcp connections and the
listing from ipvsadm is accurate. However for LVS-DR, LVS-Tun, the
director does not see the packets from the realserver to the client.
Termination of the tcp connection occurs by one of the ends sending a
FIN (see W. Richard Stevens, TCP/IP Illustrated Vol 1, ch 18, 1994, pub
Addison Wesley) followed by reply ACK from the other end. Then the other
end sends its FIN, followed by an ACK from the first machine. If the
realserver initiates termination of the connection, the director will
only be able to infer that this has happened from seeing the ACK from
the client. In either case the director has to infer that the connection
has closed from partial information and uses its own table of timeouts
to declare that the connection has terminated. Thus the count in the
InActConn column for LVS-DR, LVS-Tun is inferred rather than real.
---

so the InActConn should be "normal" for LVS/DR with Spamassassin.

anyway, thanks for the hint with the ARP problem!

bye
SK