Re: [lvs-users] LVS-NAT in Linux 2.6

Subject: Re: [lvs-users] LVS-NAT in Linux 2.6
From: "Nick Couchman" <Nick.Couchman@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 06 Sep 2009 23:36:42 -0600
Thanks for the suggestions, Joe!  On the first count, yes, the network where
the virtual IP sits has several windows machines (a couple dozen).  On the
second count, I actually gave this a shot, set up Samba and turned on WINS
Proxy, then pointed the real servers at the IP of the LVS machine for WINS.
Unfortunately I got errors in the Samba logs saying that the clients need to
contact the WINS Server.  This appeared to be during client registration, but
it also didn't seem to help the issue of logons any.

-Nick

On Sat, 5 Sep 2009, Nick Couchman wrote:

> Actually, since its NAT, the realservers get an IP address
> on another subnet that's exclusive to the NAT setup.

the realservers are on a different network and the only
intervening machine is the director. Presumably the other
windows machines are on the VIP network.

> Then the IPVS director does the NAT and routing, sending
> the requests and responses out to the rest of the network
> with its own IP address.  The issue I'm running into is
> that requests for Windows domain stuff in NT4 domains is
> done of UDP ports 137 and 138.  There's an in-kernel
> conntrack helper for requests on port 137, but not port
> 138.  This means that when the NT servers send responses
> to WINS requests on port 138 the IPVS director does not
> know what to do with these responses, so they just get
> discarded.

I don't know a lot about this, so this is just a mad idea.
If you set your director up to be a samba server, can this
be used to link the realservers to the rest of the machines
on the VIP network?

--------
This e-mail may contain confidential and privileged material for the sole use
of the intended recipient.  If this email is not intended for you, or you are
not responsible for the delivery of this message to the intended recipient,
please note that this message may contain SEAKR Engineering (SEAKR)
Privileged/Proprietary Information.  In such a case, you are strictly
prohibited from downloading, photocopying, distributing or otherwise using this
message, its contents or attachments in any way.  If you have received this
message in error, please notify us immediately by replying to this e-mail and
delete the message from your mailbox.  Information contained in this message
that does not relate to the business of SEAKR is neither endorsed by nor
attributable to SEAKR.