Re: My project - I need advices :-)

To: Raphael Quoilin <raphael.quoilin@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: My project - I need advices :-)
Cc: lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: Horms <horms@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 19 Jun 2000 14:06:59 -0700
On Fri, Jun 16, 2000 at 10:09:02PM +0200, Raphael Quoilin wrote:
> Hello to this group,
>
> At www.nexen.net/quoilin/network/net.png or
> .. www.nexen.net/quoilin/network/net.jpg
>
> You've got a picture that shows my current job.
>
> The 4 computers that have been masqueradized are Netfinity Computers
> running Linux RedHat 6.2 - Kernel 2.2.16. Those computers will run Apache
> - Free Web-Hosting Account inside an university.
>
> What about the 'Virtual Server' ? I'll install RedHat Linux 6.2 (2.2.16)
> but what should I add to the kernel to provide the masqueradized network
> with access accross the Virtual Server ?
>
> Where should I write that /john's account is in the first Netfinity
> computer, /maria is the third... Who manages that ? What are the tools to
> perform a such management ?

IPVS as it stands will load balance traffic betwen the 4 real servers at
the IP layer. It is not able to examine packets and direct traffic based on
the URL (or any other information) that is requiested. If you wish to have
different users hosted on different real servers then the Virtual Server
will have to see this traffic as coming in on a different VIP (or port). If
you want all the users to come in on the same IP on port (e.g.
http://www.servername.blah/...) then you will need to have the data for all
users accessible on all the real servers. You can do this either through
mirroring or some sort of network file system. Coda (mentioned in other
mails) is one such solution. Rsync, NFS, RSBMSs are some others.

--
Horms