RE: ideas about kernel masq table syncing ...

To: <lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: ideas about kernel masq table syncing ...
From: "Clint Byrum" <cbyrum@xxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 7 Aug 2000 11:41:50 -0700
http://www.freelabs.com/~whitis/hardware/quartet.html

We bought two of these cards, one for each of our two LVS/Firewall
boxes(bonnie & clyde, of course. :)

They were about $850 a pop. Not bad, as they perform extremely well.. though
heat is an issue(the tulip chips get extremely hot). The machines are Dell
PowerEdge 2450/600's. We also run Squid to cache internal users' web
traffic, FreeS/WAN for an IPSec VPN, snort, IP Masquerading, and about 100
ipchains rules. The boxes are setup in a failover using heartbeat. So far
though [knock on wood] we haven't had any failures, in 61 days of
uptime(minus 2 minutes to upgrade kernel and LVS to 2.2.16). I got most of
the config from http://www.linuxvirtualserver.org/HighAvailability.html

LVS has been performing well, though our main use for it hasn't ramped up
yet, so we're only getting about 1000 hits a day on the load-balanced
servers. We're balancing https using NAT, with persistence and wlc. Mon is
being used to remove/add servers to the pools(no ldirectord or piranha). Oh,
and minor distro plug here, they're running Debian 2.2(potato).

Keep up the good work!