Re: ideas about kernel masq table syncing ...

To: Joseph Mack <mack@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: ideas about kernel masq table syncing ...
Cc: "lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Ratz <ratz@xxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 09 Aug 2000 02:49:37 +0200
Hi Joe,

Joseph Mack wrote:

> >     Joseph> that's nice too. I kinda remember the duals that come with
> >     Joseph> Sun boxes were really strange and the strangeness (that I
> >     Joseph> remember) was that there was only 1 MAC address.
> >
> > Technically, the spec allows this though Sun are the only ones who do
> > it, AFAIK.  Worse still, Sun hardware shares MAC addresses across
> > multiple cards not just multiple ports on a single card. Oh well.
>
> Is this useful, or is Sun just being different?

If I understood the thread correctly, yes. Todays trend is
definitely clustering HA (at least 99.99999% :). If you
really think very hard how to make a net HA, you might
step over such a solution. Imageing a typical ecomm-net with
a router-packetfilter-webserver-firewall-db_server. The
router is quite easy to make HA (buy another one and
configure HSRP or whatever you like) the nodes can also
be made HA an the switches in between also. But having
a closer look, you see, that the problem could also be
the NIC. So take a NIC with enhanced capabilities and
logic with one port 1 connected to one switch A and with
other one 2 to the other switch B. If you're not running
a cluster, you'll have a spare machine waiting for fail-
over. It's NIC is also hardwire over cross.

      |                 |
   AAAAAAAA         BBBBBBBB
   |   |               |   |
   |   +------------+  |   |
   |                |  |   |
   |     +-------------+   ¦
   |     |          |      |
   1     2          1      2
    NIC_1             NIC_2

If one switch is down, the traffic will automatically
flow through the other one. It must exist, although
I've never seen such a setup. Intel also built such
NICs.

Just my $0.02

Roberto Nibali, ratz

--