Re: Synchronization on LVS.

To: tyongwei@xxxxxxxxx (Yong Wei)
Subject: Re: Synchronization on LVS.
Cc: lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, ywteh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: John Cronin <jsc3@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 22 Oct 2000 22:06:12 -0400 (EDT)
> Dear all,
>
> I have setup a primary node, a backup node and two
> real servers for my LVS. However, if not mistaken, I
> know that piranha canot handle lvs and failover at the
> same time. Is there any solutions to make lvs and
> failover possible at the same time?

I am not clear what you are trying to accomplish here.  If you
want failover between the primary LVS directory, and the backup,
my impression is that Piranha should in fact handle that properly.
Otherwise, what would be the point of having a backup director?

I think it is in the realservers where you can have load balancing,
or failover, but not both.  That is moot however, since with nanny
and a loadbalancing Piranha setup, failed servers are supposed
to be removed from the routing table, which is failover as far
as a load balancing service is concerned.  Failover is just
a way of using a third party (the director) to heartbeat two
services and control failover between them.

> Another thing, I am going to install mysql database
> server on the primary and backup nodes. How to
> synchoronize the data transactions and make sure that
> when primary is down, the backup node has the updated
>  data found in the primary?

In order of relative cost (implementation effort and/or dollars):

1) DRBD (network block device)

2) A shared filesystem, such as GFS

3) Dual attached RAID storage

My advice is to check into the DRBD personally.

--
John Cronin