Re: Synchronization on LVS.

To: "Teh Yong Wei" <ywteh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "John Cronin" <jsc3@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Synchronization on LVS.
Cc: <lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "David D.W. Downey" <david.downey@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 23 Oct 2000 00:19:33 -0700
I may be wrong but it sounds like you are under a misconception here.

Using Piranha here is how things work.

You have 2 front end nodes (call them vnode0 and vnode1)
You  have 3 web servers (call them ws-00, ws-01, and ws-02) these are the
real servers.

On the front end nodes (vnode0 and vnode1) you have piranha running which
consists of nanny, pulse, and lvs.

You have nothing other than apache running on the real servers.

In the /etc/lvs.cf file on vnodes 1 and 2, you define the following

backup_active = 1
backup = vnode1_ip
heartbeat = 1
heartbeat_port = 539

This tells the lvs software that when you start up pulse it is to check for
a backup server (which is the vnode1 in the configuration). It tells it that
your backup IS active and that it is to go into a heartbeat configuration
listening on port 539 and talking on the same to the backup node (vnode1)

Now, what FOS is in this situation is that if vnode0 should go down for
whatever reason, if you have pulse running on the backup node it will take
over (this is your failover) serving the VIP and handling the routing
table(s) for folks coming in on the VIP to access the real servers.

Now you can also run FOS mode which is the service= line. In THIS
configuration you ALSO have a backup node BUT the key differences are as
foolows.

All your services are running on vnode0, the same thing on vnode1. If vnode0
dies for some reason vnode1 will take over. There are no real servers like
there are in a cluster formation (lvs). ERverything is running on the
primary and the backup node. The backup node (vnode1) stays dormant save for
the fact that it talks back and forth with the primary node (vnode0) waiting
to see if vnode0 fails. As soon as it sees that vnode0 is not responding it
waits the specified time in the config file before IT assumes the role of
vnode0.

I hope this makes things a little clearer.