Re: foundry vs. lvs

To: lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: foundry vs. lvs
From: Suresh Rajagopalan <sraja@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 18 Jul 2001 11:55:34 -0700 (PDT)
I've implemented both a mid-size LVS cluster (with 20 machines) and also a
smaller cluster with a Cisco 11800.  We tried Foundry but LVS worked
better and was more configurable.

It seems to me that the real benefit of the Cisco is wire-speed
NAT. If a response from a real server does not come in x secs, the Cisco
tears that request and send another request to other active, real
servers.  The client is not involved.

In the case of LVS in DR mode this re-requesting of a failed HTTP request
will have to be handled by the client's TCP/IP since LVS is not involved
in the returning stream (or the user may have to hit refresh).

If my understanding is mistaken please let me know.

-Suresh