Re: foundry vs. lvs

To: lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, apignard@xxxxxxxxxxx, wayne@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: foundry vs. lvs
From: Joseph Mack <mack.joseph@xxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 19 Jul 2001 06:51:47 -0400
Arnaud Pignard (apignard@xxxxxxxxxxx) ecrite

Wayne wrote:

> line Intel Gigabit switch, the latency is about 8 micro-second without
> NAT.  We tested the load balancer we build based on Wensong's
> kernel code, the latency including the NAT is under 45 micro second
> through two 10/100 Ethernet interface cards.

http://www.linuxvirtualserver.org/Joseph.Mack/performance/single_realserver_performance.html

this is pretty much what I found too, the speed of the director is determined
by the network layer and the ipvs code doesn't add much latency.

The problem then is the linux tcpip network layer. One person has got 1Gbps out
of linux but the patches aren't compatible with with netfilter etc (or
just about anything else that uses networking). The network layer is being
rewritten in 2.5.

As I understand it, you can get about 400Mbps with Linux networking using
unmodified tcpip and current hardware.