Re: foundry vs. lvs

To: lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: foundry vs. lvs
From: Arnaud Pignard <apignard@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 18 Jul 2001 23:28:22 +0200
At 23:25 18/07/2001 +0200, you wrote:
Hi Suresh,

It seems to me that the real benefit of the Cisco is wire-speed
NAT.

Considering the wire-speed, for a standard use (10-20 realservers) it is not really needed if you are using a limited Internet bandwidth (2-5 MBits/s). I agree that ASICs works faster but in most case it is not needed. For example a commercial person (from Alteon) told me : "yes... blablabla, our hardware solution is better because NAT is done directly into silicium..." so I answer him, : "whoooo :) but our corporate Internet Bandwidth is around 4 MBits/s so gigabit interface just to loadbalance a server pool is really not needed..." So in conclusion IMHO wire-speed is much more a commercial argument than technical, sometime it is really need for big ISP/ASP architecture, but most of the time this is only a luxe.

10-20 realservers is not 2-5 Mbits except on luxe configuration

one of my customers use 24 servers with 50 Mbps and 20% cpu usage :)

How much bandwidth is LVS in production area can manage ?

Regards,

Arnaud Pignard (apignard@xxxxxxxxxxx)
Frontier Online - Opérateur Internet
http://www.frontier.fr