Re: foundry vs. lvs

To: lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: foundry vs. lvs
From: Wayne <wayne@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 18 Jul 2001 15:33:10 -0700
NAT taks some CPU and memory copying, with slower CPU, it will
be slower.  It is different from the switch only -- even switch only
has the speed that is slower than wire.  We measured top of
line Intel Gigabit switch, the latency is about 8 micro-second without
NAT.  We tested the load balancer we build based on Wensong's
kernel code, the latency including the NAT is under 45 micro second
through two 10/100 Ethernet interface cards.  CPU usage also has
things to do with how many user daemons do you have and
how much other overhead do you have.  With kernel only, there
is really little CPU demand, no matter how much load you have.
The bandwidth is limited by the network interface.