Re: Name based virtual hosts and persistence

To: lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Name based virtual hosts and persistence
From: Joe Cooper <joe@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 15 Sep 2001 15:05:22 -0500
Have a look at Hogwash. It's a Snort derived packet mangler. Allen from that project has been working on integrating it into iptables, and some of the things he envisions will lead the the kind of features you've got in mind, probably. It is not currently production ready, though it is in use at some sites for intrusion prevention and detection (but definitely not in use yet for the stuff we're talking about here).

http://hogwash.sourceforge.net/

It seems pretty interesting.

Zachariah Mully wrote:

Kjetil-
        I ended up separating the services onto different IPs as I
realized that I would have to find a way to do load-balancing on URL's for
me to keep my current setup (all namebased virtual hosts). I realize that
LVS is purely a IP based system, but is there a way to LB on URL using a
combination of software? For instance is there anything that could examine
the HTTP request then use fwmarks to mark a packet before it hits the
loadbalancer? My ip knowledge is minimal, but isn't this what some iDS's,
like snort, are able to do?

thanks for the help all.

Zack